Interns and Alumni Unit
The COM signs many agreements with governmental and privet hospitals to secure training sites for our interns. The 7th year is the Internship year that is 12-month mandatory clinical training divided into six training periods in different specialities at recognized training site. The internship year starts from the beginning of July until the end of June in the following after student completion of all the courses of the study plan successfully . Students at this stage have already obtained the essential knowledge and skills to practice medicine, but they are gaining more professional & practical skills . The intern duties, privileges, obligations, assessment and roles covering training is clearly explained in internship document. The internship year is considered as an integral part of the graduation requirements of Bachelor’s degree in Medicine and Surgery as well as a requirement for eligibility for licensing to practice.
An orientation about internship offered to all sixth year students yearly explaining the objectives and expectations as well as rights, duties, and assessment of interns .In addition, clear explanation is provided about specific portfolio designed for internship training periods.
The interns were given the right to select one of the different available tracks.. After intern distribution to different tracks, training requests are sent 2-3 months before the start of rotations by intern unit to the training departments of the different field experience locations. A clear description and instructions were clearly stated in the letters sent to the training sites with internship policy that showed rights ,duties, and assessment . In addition, portfolio sent to field training supervisors in different training sites explaining the objectives and expectations including list of all required skills to be performed, assist or observed by the intern for each speciality. The portfolio is shown to the field supervisor at the start of each training period by the interns so as to communicate the required tasks to be achieved by the intern by the end of the rotation. Supervising clinical staff in field locations evaluate the interns for each task done in the portfolio and for overall evaluation of the intern during the rotation. All evaluation reports were reviewed at the end of the field experience period to develop the final report by Internship unit
In addition, visits to training sites are usually done by intern unit to assure commitment of training centres. Furthermore, we supervise training process through our intern unit and intern committee. The intern unit and intern committee report to the vice dean for academic affairs to ensure that staff in different training centres are well-oriented about intended learning outcomes, policies and procedures, assessment requirements and different regulating .Therefore, interns training follow strict process as stated in intern training policy.
The Intern and Alumni Unit at the College of Medicine Dar Al-Uloom University provides different activities in which graduates can keep a vibrant link with the. Alumni are invited to participate in various college activities such as seminars, conferences, discussion panels, and social gatherings which are all designed present genuine opportunities for alumni to provide students and faculty with their experience and knowledge faculty to connect with alumni in positions that can provide training openings as well as potential employment chances.
Interns and Alumni Unit responsibilities
- Following up of the training process and communicating with the training centers to improve training efficiency.
- Ensure that the items of these regulations are applied and reviewed periodically.
- Submit a full annual report about the internship year using the form prepared for this purpose.
- Evaluation of training centers.
- Consider what is referred to it by the college’s vice-dean regarding the internship year such as observations, grievances, suggestions and requests.
- Selecting and recommending new training centers and preparing related agreements.
- Updating interns evaluation and monitoring mechanisms.
- Conducting researches and studies about internship year.
- Constructing an electronic data base of alumni at the alumni unit page at the college website.
- Benefiting from the alumni knowledge and experience via organizing academic and social events creating communicative environments among students, faculty, and alumni.
- Keeping productive communication with alumni especially those at leader positions in order to provide opportunities for training, employment, and research.
- Enhancing performance levels via measuring satisfaction level among alumni.
- Preparing annual and semiannual alumni unit activities reports.